Request or Renew an Item
Do a Quick Search
Follow these steps to do a quick search of your library’s catalog from the Polaris PowerPAC portal page.
1. Type a word or words in the Quick Library Search box.
2. If you want to limit the search to a specific format, select the material type in the Limit by box. For example, if you want to find only DVDs, select DVD in the Limit by box.
3. Click Go.
Do a Keyword Search
Follow these steps to find titles containing specific words.
1. Click Search on the menu bar, and click Keyword in the Search menu.
2. Type the text to search for in the Keyword search for box.
3. If you want to limit the search to a specific format, select a material type in the Limit by box. For example, if you want to find only DVDs, select DVD in the Limit by box.
4. If you want to search for your text in a specific field, select the field in the Search by box. For example, if you know the title contains the word Yankee, you enter Yankee in the Keyword Search for box, and select Title in the Search by box.
5. Click Go.
Do a Browse Search
Follow these steps to browse the title, author, subject, or series index.
1. Select Search on the menu bar, and select Browse in the Search menu.
2. Select Title, Author, Subject, or Series from the Search for list.
3. Type the first few letters of the title, the author’s name, the subject, or the series name in the that begins with box.
4. Click Go.
The search results list displays the browse listings and the number of titles associated with each listing.
5. Click <<Previous 10 Listings or Next 10 Listings >> to see previous or subsequent sections of the index.
6. Click a listing to see a list of associated titles.
Work with Search Results
You can do the following actions from the search results list:
• Click a Sort option at the top or bottom of the page to sort your results.
• Click a page number or the arrow at the top or bottom of the page to move through the list.
• Click Availability to see availability information.
• Click Full Display to see detailed information.
• Click Add to My List to add the title to a list that you can save, print, or send by e-mail.
• Click Place Request to request that the library obtain and hold the title for you to check out.
Request a Title
Follow these steps to request any copy of a title listed in your search results.
1. Search for the title you want to request.
2. Select the title in the search results, and click Place Request.
The log-in form appears.
3. Type your barcode number (library account number) or user name and password in the appropriate boxes, and click Log in.
The request form appears.
4. Select the name of the library where you want to pick up the item in the Pickup Library box.
5. If you want to activate your request at a future time, type the date in the Activation Date box. The request will be activated immediately if you do not change the activation date.
6. Click Submit Request.
7. Click Return to search results.
Check and Update Your Account
Follow these steps to check your account and update your personal information.
- Click My Account on the menu bar, and click My Record on the My Account menu.
- Log in if necessary.
The My Record page appears, and the side of the page displays a summary of your account information.
- Click Contact Information to display your personal information
- Type or select the new information in the appropriate boxes.
- Click Submit Change Request to submit the new information to the library.
- Click Log Out at the side of the page or on the My Account menu to log out of your account.
View and Manage Your Requests
Follow these steps to view, suspend, or reactivate your requests.
- lick My Account on the menu bar, and click Requests on the My Account menu.
- Log in if necessary.
The list of your current requests is displayed.
- Select the check box by the title for each request that you want to suspend or reactivate.
- Click Suspend/Reactivate Selected Requests, or click Suspend/Reactivate All Requests to suspend or reactivate all your requests.
- The Suspend/Reactivate Hold Requests dialog box appears.
- Type the date when suspended requests should be reactivated or type today’s date to reactivate an inactive request.
- Click Submit.
- To cancel one or more requests, do one of the following actions:
•Select the check box by the title for each request that you want to cancel, and click Cancel Selected.
•Click Cancel All to cancel all your requests
9. Click Log Out at the side of the page or on the My Account menu to log out of your account.
Renew Items Out
Follow these steps to renew the items you have checked out.
10. Click My Account on the menu bar, and click Items Out on the My Account menu.
11. Log in if necessary.
The Items Out list displays information about the items you have currently checked out.
12. To renew one or more items do the following actions:
• Select the check box by the title for each item that you want to renew, and click Renew selected items. (If an item cannot be renewed, there is no check box for the item.)
• Click Renew all items to renew all the items.
A message tells you which items have been renewed, and whether any renewals have been blocked.
13. Click Log Out at the side of the page or on the My Account menu to log out of your account.
Interlibrary Loan Service
Can’t find what you want in our catalog? We may be able to borrow it for you.
What may I request through Interlibrary Loan?
- Music CDs
- magazine articles
- Video games
What am I not able to request through Interlibrary Loan?
- items we own or have ordered
- digital works, such as ebooks, digital audiobooks, digital magazines
- complete issues of magazines or newspapers
Most libraries will not loan any item they have owned for less that 6 months.
Is there a charge for this service?
We will try to borrow an item from a library that does not charge fees.
How will I be notified about my request?
You will be notified by email or phone when the item is available for pickup, the same way that you are notified when your regular holds are ready. A notice will be sent by phone or email, according to the method you selected when you set up your library card account. We will notify you with a postcard if we are unable to fill your request. It is your responsibility to keep your contact information in your library card account current, so that we can update you about your request.
How long will it take to get the requested item?
Most items will take longer than one week to arrive. It will take more time if the item is unusual and difficult to locate. When placing your request with a librarian, be certain to indicate a date after which you no longer need the item.
How long do interlibrary loan items check out?
Books may be checked out for 3 weeks and non-book items for 1 week, unless specified as otherwise on the item. Interlibrary loans may be renewed after we get permission from the owning library. The owning library has the right to reject a renewal request.
Where do I return my interlibrary loan item?
Interlibrary loan materials can be returned in all the same places as the library’s materials. The safest method for returning Interlibrary Loan materials is to bring them to the return slot located in the library.
What if I lose or fail to return the item?
If an ILL is not returned, returned very late, or returned in damaged condition, the customer will be responsible for the cost of the item plus any processing fees charged by the lending library. Some university libraries have $100.00 processing fees.