The following resources are dedicated to preserving the history of Granite City, Pontoon Beach, Mitchell, and other unincorporated areas that fall within our district.
The Granite City Press-Record was published from April 22, 1903, when it was called the Granite City Press, until December 26, 2012, as the Press-Record. The Granite City Press-Record covered the news and human-interest stories about Granite City, Pontoon Beach, Mitchell, Madison, and Venice, Illinois.
The Granite City Press-Record archives were digitally transferred from the Library’s microfilm collection in a massive undertaking requiring many hours of work by SMRLD staff and others. It is our pleasure to make these archives available for public use, free-of-charge.
For assistance in searching the Granite City Press-Record Archives, please reach out to an SMRLD Research Librarian at [email protected], 618-452-6238 ext. 730, or by visiting us at 2001 Delmar Avenue, Granite City, IL 62040.
Digitized yearbooks from Granite City High School (including the North years).
MCHS oversees the county museum and archival library in Edwardsville and maintains a large archive of historic items related to the history of Madison County.
Dedicated to preserving the history of the Lincoln Place neighborhood, located between the railroad tracks on Niedringhaus Avenue and Illinois Route 3, they also host the annual Lincoln Place Heritage Festival every September.
Purchased by the Old Six Mile Historical Society in 1984, the historic Emmert-Zippel House now serves as the Old Six Mile Museum, which preserves the history of the home and other items that were from the Granite City area. The Emmert-Zippel House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
Learn more about the Indigenous Peoples of 62040