Coronavirus (COVID-19): SMRLD Guide
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Check back here, as well as our Facebook for updates and more information.
January 7, 2022
In Response to Rising COVID-19 Cases
All in-person GROUP programs are paused for January
Thank you for your understanding and patience.
It is our sincere hope that all programs can resume in February.
We are doing all we can to make sure the Library can remain open.
However, there may be times when the Library must close with short notice for staffing constraints. If either (or both) libraries must close we intend to continue curbside pick up.
Protect yourself and others wear a mask covering both your nose and mouth in indoor public places.
Current Library Services
Limited In-Person Services
- Face Masks Required
- Services Include: Browsing; Computer Use; Job Search Help; Notary; Research; Tech Help; Scan/Copy/Fax; Passports; License Plate Renewals; and Hunting/Fishing Licenses.
- Computer availability will continue to be limited to maintain social distancing.
- Reserve your books, movies and more in advance: online at smrld.org, via email at [email protected], or by phone 618-452-6238.
- When you are notified that your items are ready, travel to 2145 Johnson Rd – pick any spot in the parking lot, call 618-501-4798
- Library staff will place your materials on a table. After the staff have walked away you may pick them up. If you have mobility issues, please notify us in advance and staff may place the materials in your trunk.
- If you are not sure what title you want, let us browse for you! Our librarians will be happy to find materials for you based on what you like. Just fill out the form below and we will pick out 5 things just for you!
- The book drops are open at both libraries, so you may return your items & repeat!
- Questions? Call the library at 618-501-4798
- Our Digital Branch is available 24/7 for Streaming Movies, Music, eBooks, eAudiobooks, eComics, & eMagazines visit elibrary.smrld.org and for online resources visit smrld.org/online-resources
- Need to register for a library card? Visit card.smrld.org
- Wi-Fi is available in the parking lot at both locations
Programs & Fun
- A variety of programs are scheduled, including take home crafts.
- Follow library social media for more details, facebook.com/smrld.org
Hours: Monday 9-6; Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday 11-8; and Friday & Saturday 9-6
Questions? Call 618-452-6238 or email [email protected]
All returned materials are being wiped with disinfectant and returned through circulation. These items will remain on your record during this time, but will not be subject to overdue fines.
Monetary donations are always appreciated however, books or other materials are NOT being accepted at this time.
SMRLD Digital Resources
If you aren’t able to visit us in person, the library has a wide variety of online resources you can access from wherever you are. Don’t forget to check out Hoopla, Cloud Library, and RB Digital for ebooks, e-audiobooks, magazines, music, tv shows, movies, and more. If you need help downloading any of these apps, visit Streaming Movies, Music, eBooks, eAudiobooks, eComics, & eMagazines or call us at (618) 452-6238 ext. 730 or ext. 755.
You can also manage your library account after hours or remotely! You can renew books, place holds, and more.
Phases of Returning Library Services
We’re working hard to be able to bring Library services back to 62040! Thank you for your patience while we put practices and equipment in place to allow us to safely serve you.
1. Extended due date to July 6 for all physical items checked out prior to the closure.
2. Material Return Boxes Opening – No Overdue Fees! – June 1, 2020
3. Online and phone ordering of SMRLD materials. Curbside pick-up at Johnson Rd Library only. – June 8, 2020
4. Limited in-person visits to Delmar Ave Library only. – July 7, 2020
5. Limited in-person visits to Delmar Ave and Johnson Rd. Curbside pick-up at Johnson Rd Library only. – October 12, 2020
6. Buildings Closed. Return to Curbside pick-up at Johnson Rd Library only. Book drops open at both locations- November 17, 2020
7. Buildings Closed. To provide as much service as possible while maintaining the highest degree of safety, curbside pickup and in-person by-appointment-only visits will be available at both library locations – November 23, 2020
8. Curbside pickup and in-person visits by-appointment-only- November 23, 2020
9. Curbside pick-up & Limited in-person visits to Delmar Ave and Johnson Rd. – February 1, 2021
General Information About Coronaviruses
- Named for the crown-like spikes on the surface of the virus
- Human coronaviruses cause respiratory illnesses.
- Coronaviruses spread person to person through when an infected person coughs or sneezes and someone else breathes those droplets in.
- COVID-19 can cause a respiratory illness that ranges from mild to severe, or even deadly
- Symptoms usually start between 2 to 14 days after infection and can include:
- Shortness of Breath
- There is a test available if you have symptoms and think you might have been exposed to COVID-19
If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19 and are showing symptoms please contact the doctor’s office or emergency room BEFORE arriving!
What SMRLD is Doing to Help Reduce the Spread of Illness
- While we clean and disinfect both libraries daily, we have increased the frequency. Materials and toys are disinfected as well.
- Hand sanitizing stations are always conveniently placed in both buildings.
- Boxes of tissues are at every service desk; wastebaskets are available throughout the buildings.
- Staff do have paid sick leave and are required to stay home if they are ill.
What Can You Do to Help Reduce the Spread of Illness
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or your upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Discard your used tissues immediately.
- Wash your hands often for a minimum of 20 seconds with soap and warm water or use a hand sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well or are experiencing flu-like symptoms.
Important Phone Numbers and Emails
- In Illinois:
- Illinois Coronavirus Hotline: 1-800-889-3931
- Email: [email protected]
- In Missouri
- Missouri Coronavirus Hotline: 877-435-8411
- Email: [email protected]
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Illinois Department of Public Health
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
- Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University