Six Mile Regional Library District is an authorized United States Passport Acceptance Facility and accepts passport applications on behalf of the United States Department of State. Applicants are responsible for providing complete and accurate information on their passport applications. Incorrect or unacceptable information may result in processing delays and/or denial of your application.
SMRLD only offers processing for first-time applicants for a passport book and/or passport card. Passport renewals are not accepted at SMRLD. To renew your passport please see the Passport Renewal Section below.
Ensure your passport application process goes smoothly by finding passport forms, hours of acceptance, fees, and requirements on this page. Research and Instruction Staff are available to perform this service on a walk-in basis. Please follow the guidelines below for complete passport information. Incomplete applications, or applications outside of designated passport acceptance times will be ineligible for processing.
What do I need to apply for a passport book or card?
- A DS-11 Application
- Do not sign the application until the passport agent instructs you to do so.
- This form can be completed online, printed from travel.state.gov, or the Research Desk has forms available to fill out in person.
- If filling out by hand, please print legibly and use only black ink. Forms with whiteout or correction tape on them will not be accepted.
- Proof of Citizenship (one of the following)
- Original birth certificate or a certified copy (no hospital certificates or photocopies)
- Previous U.S. Passport (for applicants over the age of 16)
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Proof of Identity
- Valid Illinois driver’s license or State of Illinois ID
- For non-Illinois residents, please bring your driver’s license and a Department of State’s approved secondary identification.
- Passport Photo
- A 2x2in photograph taken in the last 6 months is required. The picture should be of the full face with a plain white or off-white background. Visit travel.state.gov for full details.
- SMRLD does provide photo services for an additional Photo Fee of $13.00 payable to the Six Mile Regional Library District.
- Passport photos can also be taken locally at both Walgreens and CVS in Granite City. Coupons may be available for money off the cost of Passport photos at both CVS and Walgreens; search online to discover the most up-to-date coupon code.
- Fees (two separate payments are required for a new passport)
- Application fee: payable to the Department of State, please see the Department of State’s Passport Fees webpage for any additional questions or concerns regarding fees . Can only be paid with a check or money order.
- Acceptance fee: payable to the Six Mile Regional Library District, a separate payment of $35.00 per application is required for our passport facility. Can be paid with cash, check, or credit card.
- ALL FEES MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
NOTE: All legal guardians and the child must be present for minor (under age 16) applications. If one parent/legal guardian cannot be present, you must submit a Parent Consent Form (DS-3053), completed with a notarized signature from the non-applying parent/guardian, and a copy of front and back of the non-applying parent/legal guardian’s ID (it should be the same ID that they showed the notary). Teens between the ages of 16-17 should have at least one parent/legal guardian present at the time of application.
For additional questions regarding minor applications, please visit the “Children Under 16” section on travel.state.gov.
To check the status of your application call 1-800-487-2778 or visit travel.state.gov. SMRLD is unable to check passport status.
Locations & Hours for Passport Services
No appointments are necessary and all applications are taken on a first come, first served, walk-in basis. We accept applications Monday through Saturday up to an hour before the library closes.
Six Mile Regional Library District- Niedringhaus Building
2001 Delmar Avenue
Granite City, IL 62040
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-7:00 PM
Friday & Saturday 9:00 AM-4:00 PM
Adult Passport Renewals
Adult Passport renewals are easy to do. To renew a 10-year adult passport, visit www.travel.state.gov and download form DS-82 along with the instructions. You can renew by mail if all of the following are true of your most recent U.S. Passport:
- It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older;
- Was issued within the last 15 years; (not expired more than 5 years) and
- Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with a certified copy of your marriage certificate or government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.
Complete the application and mail the application, payment, and the passport to the address on the form. A trip to an acceptance facility is not necessary! The Library does not accept mail-in renewal applications. Adult renewals are done by the adult and acceptance agencies do not accept these applications.
Anyone applying for a first time passport must apply in person using form DS-11. If you were under 16 when your passport was issued (a 5 year passport) you can not renew.
For More Information
For any questions regarding passport acceptance at Six Mile Regional Library District, please call the Research Desk at 618-452-6238, ext. 730.
Call 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 for TDD/TTY – Automated information available 24/7. To speak to a customer service representative, call between the hours of 8 AM and 10 PM, Eastern Time, Monday through Friday, except Federal Holidays.
Email [email protected] – Most inquiries are answered within 24 hours by telephone only.