History of the Library

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

March 1912 – The Granite City Council votes to open a library, which is founded with a total of 300 books, donated by city residents.

1929 – Construction on the Granite City Public Library on Delmar Avenue  is completed.

1990 – The public votes to expand library coverage into Mitchell, Pontoon Beach, and parts of Arlington, creating the Granite City Public Library District.

2003 – The name of the library district is changed to Six Mile Regional Library District to better represent the population served.

2012 – The library district prepares to celebrate its centennial in March!

2014 – Renovation of Delmar Avenue is completed and the location renamed the Niedringhaus Building

 

Interested in local history? Visit our digital collection, Six Miles of Local History.

2001 Delmar

ClosedToday: 9:00 am - 8:00 pm

2145 Johnson

ClosedToday: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Upcoming Events

  1. The Reading Without Walls Winter Reading Challenge

    January 3 - February 28
  2. Gizmos, Gadgets, & Games

    February 21 @ 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
  3. Story Time

    February 22 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am

Six Mile Regional Library District © 2018. All Rights Reserved. St. Louis Web Design by Clicked Studios.